The Institute of Managers and Leaders is contracted as an assessing authority by the Australian Government to assess senior management skills, for the purpose of skilled migration to Australia. Managers are assessed against the criteria and not the functions of the general managerial occupations, as set out in the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO).
Guidelines are based on the level of work experience, training and qualifications achieved. To satisfy these requirements applicants must hold a senior management position and meet the criteria as follows:
Chief Executive or Managing Director 
To meet the requirements for assessment as CEO/Managing Director for migration purposes, an applicant must:
- Currently hold, or have held, the most senior management position across the whole organisation over a continuous period at least three years
- Have proven and successful experience in a top management position at the level of Corporate General Manager or equivalent prior to being appointed to the position of CEO/Managing Director
- Be the owner of the business; or report directly to the Board of Directors of the business; or report directly to the Head of the Government Department who reports directly to the relevant Minister if the applicant works in the public sector; or be a senior management consultant providing advice to client organisations at Board level
- Be wholly responsible for implementing strategy and policy across the entire organisation in accordance with organisational objectives determined by the Board of Directors
- Be responsible for negotiating, planning and implementing decisions related to mergers, acquisitions or the sale of major assets for the entire organisation
- Be responsible for designing, developing and implementing financial budgets for the whole organisation to achieve the priorities and objectives determined by the Board of Directors
- Ensure that the organisation structure of the whole organisation is designed to achieve the priorities and objectives determined by the Board of Directors
- Have the decision making authority to delegate responsibility to the most senior operational manager who would be eligible for assessment as Corporate General Manager under the criteria outlined below
The positions of both Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Managing Director (MD) are defined as the most senior managers in the organisation. The incumbent MUST have the decision making authority across the whole organisation and not just subsidiary divisions or departments of the organisation. In some organisations the CEO/MD may delegate some or all of this decision making authority to a Corporate General Manager, which is reflected in that manager’s Position Description.
Corporate General Manager 
To meet the requirements for assessment as Corporate General Manager for migration purposes, an applicant must:
- Have, or have held, a proven record of top management experience over a continuous period of at least three years
- Have proven and successful experience in a functional area of management prior to being appointed to the position of Corporate General Manager
- Currently hold the most senior day-to-day operational position within the organisation
- Report directly to the CEO, Managing Director, Board of Directors or owner of the business; or report directly to the Head of Department if the applicant works in the public sector; or be a senior management consultant providing consultancy advice to client organisations at CEO, Managing Director or Board level
- Have delegated authority from the Chief Executive Officer or Managing Director for managing and achieving the organisation’s financial budgets and outcomes
- Have the decision-making authority over a wide range of responsibilities through delegation to three or more subordinate managers who would be eligible for assessment as a senior functional manager under the criteria outlined below:
Senior Functional Manager – this category covers the following positions:
- Sales and Marketing Manager 
- Advertising Manager 
- Public Relations Manager 
- Human Resource Manager 
- Engineering Manager 
- Supply and Distribution Manager 
- Procurement Manager 
To be assessed as Senior Functional Manager for migration purposes, an applicant must:
- Have a proven record in a senior functional management position over a continuous period of at least three (3) years, requiring the delegation of authority directly to three or more subordinate managers each of whom hold positions requiring the delegation of work to three or more subordinates in managerial or supervisory positions
- Hold the most senior management position within the applicant’s functional area of responsibility within the organisation
- Report directly to the Owner of the business, Corporate General Manager, Chief Executive Officer or Managing Director; or report directly to the Department Head if the applicant works within the public sector: or provide consultancy advice as a Senior Management Consultant to client organisations at the level of Corporate General Manager or above
- Have the decision making responsibility, through delegation to three or more subordinate managers, for a range of specific responsibilities in the applicant’s functional area
- Be wholly responsible for achieving his/her functional responsibilities within the organisation
- Have had a proven and successful experience in a broad range of managerial responsibilities prior to being appointed to the top functional position
For all applications, the years of experience may be reduced if the applicant has qualifications in management studies or business administration assessed as comparable to an Australian Bachelor, Post Graduate or Master degree, or in a discipline relevant to the field in which the manager is working.
This applies where the qualification concerned has been completed immediately prior to, or within the relevant time frame of years of management experience being assessed. The Country Education Profiles prepared by the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition are the basis for an educational assessment.
To be assessed as a senior manager for migration purposes, the complexity and size of the organisation will influence the assessment. Applicants will require senior management experience over a diverse range of responsibilities including authority over three or more subordinates who are also at managerial level. Senior functional managers would therefore have a high level of discretionary authority.
Make An Enquiry
If you have any questions relating to assessment of management skills for migration purposes, please fill in the following form and press submit. All enquiries are answered by the Skilled Migration Assessment Unit.
Please email your enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: the Institute cannot provide any advice on the outcome of your application before it is formally received with the associated assessment fee. Please see the Steps for Migration Assessment Application.
New postal address is GPO Box 2229, Brisbane Qld 4000, Australia.
New courier address is Level 16, 40 Creek Street, Brisbane Qld 4000, Australia.